UKanDo Skin update Maybe??

General Viewer Chitchat!

UKanDo Skin update Maybe??

PostPosted by Connor » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:34 pm

I adapted another skin for a friend of mine to use. It’s the StarLight Orb Blue!
Now as I was testing and sorting things I got to like it.
It’s kinda more modern looking and a little closer to LL viewer skin then the existing one without being to close!

I’m thinking about maybe using it to Replace the current skin?

Any thought anyone?

Connor
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UKanDo Skin update Maybe??

PostPosted by Inhandra » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:24 am

I've always enjoyed the starlight skins and I do think I'd personally prefer the starlight orb over what is there now. But this does raise a couple of questions.

1) Would you be replacing the currently offered "default LL skin" with the Starlight version?
2) Would you be including the photography panel from Starlight?
Inhandra

PostPosted by Connor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:17 am

1) Would you be replacing the currently offered "default LL skin" with the Starlight version?
A. Nope would still offer the LL default skin as well! would just be replacing the current skin.

2) Would you be including the photography panel from Starlight?
A. No plans to at the moment its a lot of code and until now its not been asked for.
So thinking there wont be enough use to warrant all the extra code, but never say never right!
Connor
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted by Inhandra » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:39 am

Connor wrote:2) Would you be including the photography panel from Starlight?
A. No plans to at the moment its a lot of code and until now its not been asked for.
So thinking there wont be enough use to warrant all the extra code, but never say never right!

the starlight photography panel isn't much code at all. it's all part of the skin and even works in the default viewer.
Inhandra

PostPosted by Connor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:59 am

Oh OK its true what they say "You learn something new each day"!

Has been added to the To-Do look into (as time allows) list!
just to make sure its is all in xml files without any new C++?

if it is all xml then I don't see why not!
Connor
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted by Inhandra » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Connor wrote:Oh OK its true what they say "You learn something new each day"!

Has been added to the To-Do look into (as time allows) list!
just to make sure its is all in xml files without any new C++?

if it is all xml then I don't see why not!

The phototools is in all xml and works in the default viewer. The panel itself is in floater_mem_leaking.xml. Basically, Hitomi nuked the memory leak floater and replaced it with the phototool floater, so that's where you should look for it. :) She's also included buttons for the toolbar to pull up the phototools, but whenever I would try splicing this into other viewers beside official, I never had any luck making the new button appear, though it appears just fine in official.
Inhandra

PostPosted by Connor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:05 pm

OK done, skin changed to Starlight's Orb Blue!

Linden default skin no longer a separate download its in the viewer now and uses the Starlight skin selector on the login panel to change it!
got it down to a nice small size so not that much more added to the size of the viewer download.

Will all be in the next release!
Connor
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted by ZZBottom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Must be direct, i think that the magic of Ukndo is the fact that is as close as LL official viewer interface as it can and adds really the things that one needs on the day base!
I used so many diff viewers with so many diff interfaces and i never, i repeat, i never had LL official viewer installed!
So why im worried about the fact thatr Ukando interface is changing?
Cause i know that the few i manage to convice to try it and stook with Ukando, where new users that where only used to LL official viewer!
No matter how many of the old users tried Ukando, most refused to use it do to the fact that its interface is not v1 syle!
So Ukando will never be able to reach those, that refuse to adapt and move to the v3 interface!
And if Ukando interface moves to much from LL viewer (and im not speaking about the collors of the interface!) i fear that the ones that are the potencial users will not try it!
Another thing i fear is that by forcing clean installs many will avoid updating or even trying!
I know for sure how hard is for me to make my soul mmate update when the only thing one need to do is to donwload and let it override!
Now to tell her to go to c:program files (x86) and put an A in front of the ukando folder (I never delete old version, i just rename the folders!)
To tell her to do same on the local and roaming, knowing that now she will have to set all the users settings from scratch, is some i used to fight long ago, when Niran viewer was updated every week, is some i can fight for, but is some i know most will run away!
In the end, i do feel that Im not entitled to tell the bulder of Ukando how he should choose the path to regain more users!
But if one thing i know is that the smal add ons Ukando has suffered where always clever and needed ones!
And that its performance was a goal, to have at least the same as LL official viewer, no mmatter waht add ons or setings one used!
I do hope that this goal is still in any ones mind that uses it!
ZZBottom

PostPosted by Connor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:18 pm

As from the next release:

UKanDo now has a New Default Skin, based on the icon set from Starlight skins Orb Blue. The Linden default skin is now included in the viewer install download, and can be changed from the Skin Selector menu which is now on the login panel (Don’t forget to restart the viewer after changing skins and B4 you login).

For those who liked the old skin, this has also been added back to the skin selector, and turns out that Starlight skins calls it Nostalgia Blue, so that’s carried over as the original skins name in the Skin Selector dropdown menu!

Once you are happy with the skin you want to use, you also have the option to hide the Skin Selector button from the login panel. You can find this option in Preferences -> Advanced. Also here you will find the option to hide the new Film menu (also from Starlight skin, then modified a little bit) from the top toolbar menu if you don’t use it (can also be found in Advanced top toolbar menu). These were added to de-clutter the viewer in an attempt to keep it as close to LL viewer as possible.

To that end it was also decided not to add the other starlight panels, as after testing with some of our users it was found to be to bigger change and was outside some users comfort zone.

The Preferences panel has also been re-worked, with the UKanDo tab being removed and the options from it being moved to existing panels (I never liked it).

The Top toolbar UKanDo menu has also been better organized, and includes a wireframe option as well as Kokua Viewer "Refresh Scene" option.
Connor
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted by ZZBottom » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:43 pm

Nostalgia blue works perfect, I did tried also the new and the default, but i must say that i got too used to your old default one.
Very useful to have the refresh scene from kokua and mostly the derrender option now available!
The preferences tab makes perfect sense and i got no decrease in the performance!
I don't know when the next release will be made official but the one we could grab via Ukando group notice (one more reason to join Ukando group if any uses it.) is working steadily on my and my soul mate computer and we didn't had the need to do a clean install, 1 click, install and back in world in less then a minute!
ZZBottom

Return to UKanDo Viewer Chat